Monday, October 26, 2009

Katakana Analysis

For my analysis, I will talk about two examples スティーバンさん contributed.

Click here for this first one. In this example, the ドン represents a sound, maybe used for effect. I think a big reason this expression is in かたかな is because it's an onomatopoeia. Also, using かたかな gives emphasis to the word. Using かたかな makes the expression stand out. In this example, many of the loan words are in katakana (for example, トイレ and バス). The main reason here must be because these words are not originally from the native Japanese language, but come from other languages.

I guess these words are there for the reasons we've already seen in the various Japanese textbooks - for emphasis, onomatopoeia, and loan words. It's hard to say why textbooks define katakana differently, but it must be because katakana's use is a bit ambiguous or at least difficult to define. For example, in the first picture I mentioned above, both the fact that the word is an onomatopoeia and that it is emphasized seem to be plausible reasons to use katakana. I suppose the writers of the textbooks had to look at katakana words as a whole and group them, which really is difficult.

6 Comments:

Blogger Davidetc said...

I think it's just an ambiguous topic, since Katakana usage really has no bounds. I was shocked that Karaoke, which I thought was native to Japanese, is written in Katakana. It seems that it's just our best bet as to when we should use it and when we shouldn't, and go by the guidelines of the textbooks as just useful advice. じゃまたあした。

October 28, 2009 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger Yujin Chung said...

I agree that when and where katakana tends to be somewhat ambiguous. There are your obvious categories--foreign words, onomatopoeia, emphasis and so on, and then there are more tentative categories such as slang and trendiness. Bit of a grey area I would say.

October 28, 2009 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger Daisy Yuxi said...

first of all I wanna say that I like your profile pic haha.
I agree with you that the usage of katakana is a bit ambiguous to define, I was actually confused when I was writing my katakata analysis because I feel that textbook should always talk about the truth, there should be only one truth, but there're varies sayings in different Japanese textbooks(as sensei said)....@@ Sometimes even sensei says "i dont know why we use katakna here"! I'm wondering who's the first one who use katakana is some specific words and how he/she promote it to the whole Japan...

October 29, 2009 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

It is definitely confusing to tell when to use katakana. It's like a word in English being misspelled if it's in script, except there aren't any rules so how do you know?? Yuxi brings up a good point. How did Katakana catch on in the first place?

October 29, 2009 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger Ai said...

Hi Rebecca,
This is Ai, a TA from your lab.
Yes, "ドン" in this manga represents a sound and is used for effect. "ドン" is sometimes spelled in Hiragana "どん" too also in manga. I think that, especially in manga, one of the reasons why an author choose whether Hiragana or Katakana might depend on the shape of the letters; Hiragana is more round and Katakana is more square. So, there might be a visual effect too. How do you feel when you see カタカナ words or ひらがな words...?

November 5, 2009 at 12:35 PM  
Blogger きょうこ said...

I think too,Rebecca.When we want to tell the thing with emphasis or loanward that is difficult in japanese,we ofen use "かたかな".So I think your idea is very close to the truth.

November 22, 2009 at 10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home